Women Executives is a diverse group of accomplished women who support and nurture each other's personal and career growth. WE provides a forum for professional interactions, sponsors programs for professional growth, and encourages its members to develop their leadership potential and serve the community. The goal of WE is to be an organization that is representative of leaders in the business, professional, educational and nonprofit community of Charlotte.
A Message from Our PresidentWE Connect Beyond the Surface
DEAR WE SISTERS,
Happy New Year and Welcome to the next decade! 2020 is here and I couldn't be more excited!
I took the opportunity to Connect Beyond the Surface and read through on-line news archives of the past 10 years - very impressive! I joined WE in 2011, experiencing a tremendous amount of energy and passion. I immediately jumped in to participate on the orientation committee, membership, WINGS Mentor, joined one of the newly formed Forum groups and later became a Board Member and Co-Chaired the 40th Anniversary Celebration. To close out one decade and begin another, I am honored to be President.
This time of year always provides a moment of reflection and goal setting! I believe it is important to be intentional about assessing our accomplishments and discerning what that means for the year ahead. As I read the pages and pages of stories about the amazing Women Executives' accomplishments the following themes came to light. I challenge each one of you to be inspired like I am with the incredible women WE Connect, WE Inspire, WE Socialize and WE are WINGS as WE support and nurture each other's career growth in the next decade.
We welcomed 202 members from 2010 - 2019 and celebrated 61 WINGS Scholars with a continued mix of diverse leaders in the Business Professional, Educational and Non-profit community of Charlotte. We ended the decade with 286 members. We celebrated retirements and grieved several deaths, leaving lasting legacies. I am so proud of the prestigious promotions, appointments to boards, and "First" women to serve in multiple places. The awards are tremendous - Women of the Year, Leadership Charlotte, Maya Angelou Women Who Lead Honorees, 50 Most Influential Women, Women's History Month Leadership in Action, Power of Women, Top 100 Most Influential and Notable Hispanic Professional in Information Technology.
WE were panelists throughout the city. We have the Mayor, former Mayor and city leader amongst us! We authored award winning books - in fact it's time to show off our authors and book list!
During the last decade WE were women who have changed the rules and truly benefited our city with our leadership. WE are Women of Inspiration as we mentor our WINGS Scholars.
WE celebrated 40 Years in 2017! And WE are on fire for the next 40.
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the New Year's Party - Bling in the New Year, Sunday, January 26, 2020 at the Quail Hollow Club, 4:00pm-7:00pm. Let's celebrate the past decade and Bling in the New Year together! You can register until January 24.
With a Commitment to Connect Beyond the Surface in 2020,
Regina Y. Wharton
As WE continue to live out our mission and purpose to Connect:
- 2010 WE told our Leadership Stories
- 2011 WE began sending Quarterly Postcards
- 2012 WE Launched our First Forum Group
- 2013 WE created a new "higher tech" website
- 2014 WE started WE Goes to Lunch in the month of July
- 2015 WE graduated 9 WINGS scholars
- 2016 72 WE members volunteered to serve on the board or a committee
- 2017 WE Celebrated our 40th Anniversary
- 2018 WE Launched WE Talks, our very own variation of Ted Talks
Regina Y. Wharton
Women Executives President, 2019-2020
The membership process requires that each prospective member be sponsored by two Women Executives members with a cumulative seven years as members of WE. In addition, both the lead and co-sponsor need to have been a member at least 1 year.CHARACTERISTICS OF A WE MEMBER
A WE member exhibits some or all of the following characteristics:
- Expresses interest in and demonstrates her commitment to WE's mission and objectives.
- Enriches the diversity of WE in one or more ways (professionally, culturally, through accomplishments, or by forging new paths.)
- Has a demonstrated record of accomplishment, both personally and professionally. She exhibits the knowledge, determination and strength of character which lead to success.
- Exhibits her skills not only in her work, but in active participation in business, civic, community or charitable organizations.
- Is a mentor and a model of inspiration for others.
- Maintains ethical standards which are evidenced by her behavior, her interpersonal dealings, and the manner in which she conducts business.
- Resides in the greater Charlotte metropolitan area.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION CRITERIA FOR ALL PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS
- Prospective member has a demonstrated and progressive record of accomplishment, both personal and professional. She follows respected and ethical business practices, is a leader in her field, and she exhibits all of the qualities of a WE member outlined above.
- Prospective member represents a business or profession that will provide WE with a balanced and representative cross section of businesses and professions in the community. Through her membership, she enriches the diversity of WE in one or more ways (professionally, culturally, through accomplishments or by forging new paths).
- Prospective member will contribute actively to WE through attendance at and participation in WE activities such as: committees, projects, support of WECS, or other WE projects and/or networking with or mentoring other members.
- Prospective member will commit to the mission and vision of WE in such ways as sharing her skills through active participation in business, civic, community or organization or other activities.