Women Executives is a diverse group of accomplished women who support and nurture each other's personal and career growth. WE provides a forum for professional interactions, sponsors programs for professional growth, and encourages its members to develop their leadership potential and serve the community. The goal of WE is to be an organization that is representative of leaders in the business, professional, educational and nonprofit community of Charlotte.
A Message from Our PresidentWE Connect Beyond the Surface
As WE look to the year ahead, I am inspired by my own personal experience and participation in this organization and across the community and ask that we each find a way to Connect Beyond the Surface. Let's work together to foster authentic conversations to support each other's career growth and nurture personal relationships and connections that's what being a member of Women Executives (WE) is all about.
I am reminded of a quote from Oprah Winfrey - "All of us are seeking the same thing. We share the desire to fulfill the highest, truest expression of ourselves as human beings."
With this in mind, WE can and should Connect Beyond the Surface at every interface of our organization. We can make sure this happens in the Board Room, Forums, Monthly Luncheons, Book & Travel Clubs, Committees, Special Events, Community Engagement and with our WINGS Scholars and partner schools. Connect Beyond the Surface with members you know well and members you don't know at all embrace our new members and encourage them to connect beyond the surface. I hope to hear a Buzz around the depths of conversations WE are having forming new and trusting friendships.
How can we make this happen? I have a couple ideas...
FIRST, Make a commitment to get to know members at a deeper level. This could be someone you know well or a new member you just met. Many of us like "goals" so think about connecting with three (3) WE members this year!
SECOND, Pay close attention to the times you stay on the Surface ask yourself WHY? And take steps to go deeper. By focusing on what WE have to gain I hope you will be motivated.
So what can we gain by Connecting Beyond the Surface? I believe WE will benefit from Building Trust essential to all highly successful relationships living our mission, building a better WE & Charlotte community, and getting to know each other Beyond the Surface with a new found realization that we are more alike than we are different. Stretch to find synergy all strengthening our leadership capabilities.
I'm excited about the future as WE commit to building bridges across similarities!
With a Commitment to Connect Beyond the Surface,
Regina Y. Wharton
Women Executives President, 2019-2020
The membership process requires that each prospective member be sponsored by two Women Executives members with a cumulative seven years as members of WE. In addition, both the lead and co-sponsor need to have been a member at least 1 year.CHARACTERISTICS OF A WE MEMBER
A WE member exhibits some or all of the following characteristics:
- Expresses interest in and demonstrates her commitment to WE's mission and objectives.
- Enriches the diversity of WE in one or more ways (professionally, culturally, through accomplishments, or by forging new paths.)
- Has a demonstrated record of accomplishment, both personally and professionally. She exhibits the knowledge, determination and strength of character which lead to success.
- Exhibits her skills not only in her work, but in active participation in business, civic, community or charitable organizations.
- Is a mentor and a model of inspiration for others.
- Maintains ethical standards which are evidenced by her behavior, her interpersonal dealings, and the manner in which she conducts business.
- Resides in the greater Charlotte metropolitan area.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION CRITERIA FOR ALL PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS
- Prospective member has a demonstrated and progressive record of accomplishment, both personal and professional. She follows respected and ethical business practices, is a leader in her field, and she exhibits all of the qualities of a WE member outlined above.
- Prospective member represents a business or profession that will provide WE with a balanced and representative cross section of businesses and professions in the community. Through her membership, she enriches the diversity of WE in one or more ways (professionally, culturally, through accomplishments or by forging new paths).
- Prospective member will contribute actively to WE through attendance at and participation in WE activities such as: committees, projects, support of WECS, or other WE projects and/or networking with or mentoring other members.
- Prospective member will commit to the mission and vision of WE in such ways as sharing her skills through active participation in business, civic, community or organization or other activities.